Tuesday 16 June 2015

Dating






Fridaynight I was out with a friend. This friend is more than ten years younger than me (in the second half of her thirty's). After a long relationship she is now single again. We had fun and we also had some drinks. My friend told me about her adventures as a fresh single on the datingmarket. Especially her stories about her adventures with her Tinder-dates were hilarious. 

Suddenly she said, "Well, I'm glad that I've become single now, and not ten years later. At that time I'll be old, I'll have wrinkles and my body will be sagging and I'll never find a husband..." I looked at her and asked her: "You mean, at that time you would be like me right now?" My friend was shocked and changed color when she realized what she had said. We both had to laugh really hard.

Ofcourse it was very funny. Yet it is indicative for the judgments we have about aging women. Meanwhile, the men of my age are also not getting any younger and not every man is aging charming as George Clooney. Yet men are not judged negatively on their aging appearance as women. We can not blame the men, as long as we don't embrace our aging appearance by ourselves.

Maybe we should start to accept that there is beauty in all ages. It will definitely help when all those beautiful 47+-women are more visible in the media. We need our rolemodels. I'm sure then the image of  'old = gray = unattractive' will disappear by itself. First among the women themselves.

What is your opinion?


No comments:

Post a Comment